If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my newsletter. Thanks for visiting!
Apple Chicken Burgers with Brie & Caramelized Onion
Makes 4 servings
What you need:
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 yellow onions (peeled and finely sliced)
a handful of mushrooms (sliced)
2 green apples (green, divided)
1 lb ground chicken (antibiotic, farm raised)
2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used more like 2 tbsp- cause I love Dijon!)
1/2 tsp ground sage (optional – because I didn’t have it! – still turned out great!)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 slices goat milk brie cheese
1 bunch organic spinach (separated into leaves and washed)
What you do:
1. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add yellow onion and saute for 30 minutes or until fried and crispy, stirring occasionally. When onion bits get stuck to the bottom, add 1-2 tbsp of water at a time to deglaze the pan. Add mushrooms and saute until soft. Set aside.
2. Take one apple and shred into a bowl. Squeeze and remove excess juice (drink it or add it to a smoothie later!).
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, shredded apple, dijon, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Form into patties.
4. Preheat grill over medium heat. Transfer burgers onto a grill and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes per side or until burger is cooked through and juices run clear (or internal temperature reaches 165 F). If it’s not BBQ season you can also bake them at 350 deg 15 min per side.
5. Cut the remaining apple into slices. Plate burger over a bed of raw spinach and top with brie, apple slices and caramelized onion & mushroom mix.