If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my newsletter. Thanks for visiting!
Coconut Pumpkin Pie
I love pumpkin pie, especially when it’s made from fresh pumpkin! Fall is the best time of year to stock up on the delicious fall squashes & pumpkins!
This year I decided to try my hand at creating a dairy-free pumpkin pie with a gluten-free crust and boy was I happy with how it turned out!
What you need:
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (or ground your own from GF oats)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin, pureed
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk (use just the cream on top if you want it even more creamy & coconutty or mix can well first)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pumpkin seeds
- Shredded or flaked coconut
- Whipped coconut cream
What you do:
- Coat a pie plate with coconut oil.
- Grind almonds in a food processor or Vitamix blender, being careful not to over blend as you will end up with almond butter, grind whole flax seed (I use a coffee grinder).
- Place oat flour, ground almonds, flax and sea salt in large bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil and maple syrup & blend together with a fork.
- Press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate with your fingers (you may need to put a bit of coconut oil on your hands). Prick the bottom a few times with a fork.
- Place in the fridge for 20 min before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg and bake for 15-20 min, or until golden but not dark.
- Remove from oven and prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk eggs and sugars together until smooth. I use my grandmother’s hand blender …love it!
- Add pureed pumpkin (very important when using fresh pumpkin that you process it using your food processor so it’s smooth and creamy) and coconut milk. Blend again with a hand blender or whisk to make it frothy.
- Add in vanilla, spices and salt and stir until blended.
- Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 45-60 min or until a toothpick poked into the middle of pie comes out clean.
- Let cool to room temperature and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and/or shredded coconut. If you want to top with whipped coconut cream you can find the recipe in my “Can’t Beet this Chocolate Cake” Recipe
Share this entry