Protein Packed Yam Pancakes
What you need:
- 4 small yams
- 8 eggs (whisked)
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- banana slices
What you do:
- Peel yam and dice into small cubes. Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Drop the sweet potato in and steam for 7 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Alternatively, bake yam cubes at 350 for 10-15 min or until tender. Transfer the yam to a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add about 2 cups of yam to a bowl, add in the whisked eggs and mix well. Add more yam if the batter is too thin.
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, pour pancakes in the skillet, no more than 1/8 to 1/4 cup of batter at a time. Cook each side about 3-5 minutes or until browned. Divide pancakes onto plates and top with cinnamon, banana and maple syrup. Enjoy!
- Add nutmeg or pumpkin spice to the batter for added flavour.
- Toppings can include any fresh fruit, chopped nuts or coconut.
- Create an afternoon snack by toasting leftover pancakes in toaster oven spread with nut butter.
Click here for other breakfast inspired recipes!