Zesty Green Beans
These green beans are a staple in my meal plans. I’ve always loved green beans, but the flavour of ginger and lemon really do give these beans a zesty kick. I added a couple of mandarin oranges to give it some extra vitamin C and color.
What you need:
5 cups fresh green beans (or yellow or mixture)
1/4 cup fresh ginger, sliced thin or chopped fine
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
5 tbsp tamari
Juice of 1 lemon
What you do:
- Wash beans and cut off the stem end of the bean. Cut into 2-3 inch pieces or keep full length if you have a big pan.
- Heat pan on medium heat, saute cut ginger for about 1 min.
- Add beans and cook for 3-4 min. Watch that they do not overcook. Beans should remain bright green.
- Add tamari and lemon juice
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are cooked to your likeness.
Add additional veggies, like diced red pepper for added nutrients and color.
Leftovers are great cold added to salads. No need to add salad dressing, and gives salads that extra crunch.
Inspired from The Salt Spring Experience, Recipes for Body, Mind and Spirit
Share this entry